So last night around 10:55, I just happened to look at my iphone and notice that I had 5,551 emails awaiting me. That’s more than my curated list of usually 10 emails.
This was an attack on my contact form on my website!
So, confident that attacking the contact form wasn’t going to get anywhere, I just went to bed and slept well.
This morning, I saw that the number had only inched up a few. I knew the attack was over. I went in and reviewed and archived the emails, clearing them out from iPhone and computer. It actually took very little time.
I reviewed the emails and it seems like most were phishing attempts to dig deeper into my site directory, and they all came from the same IP address. (I always store an IP address with any contact form that I do for any client.) They all came from 8:05 pm to 9:30 pm (Approx. 65 per minute). I did some research. It did not come from any registered website. I did a trace route and noted it sure took an interesting route around the country and then over to Sarawak, near Brunei.
In another bow to the Wordfence plugin, I checked out my blog and saw it had blocked the IP address after the multiple hits.
This sort of nonsense is part of hosting a website. The only solution:
Good day you random idiot.